Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Discussion Throw - Indian Education System

DISCUS-SION THROW

With the world still high on Olympic fever, I couldn't think of a better title for this section!
A little while ago, I had a chance to talk with the recent interviewees Supriya on Kshitij. We discussed the current education system in India. Here's what followed:



Punit: On the topic, I want to know your views on 'Current Education system in India'. I thought it might be relevant given your life paths now

Supriya: Ah! Interesting! Presently, the education system in India is neither entirely irrelevant nor it is entirely applicable! We need to mend it at certain positions, such that we can offer the youth and children a better tomorrow.

Kshitij: Not exactly Supriya

Supriya: May I know how?

Kshitij: Sure. Firstly, one can’t select their field of study till late and when one is able to do that, sometimes they may end up in a mess, doing things that they are not at all interested in. I will say even unawareness is responsible for the same, but then education system is not a lesser culprit. 

Supriya: Well, education doesn't involve any selective study! One must have brief knowledge of each and every subject! Education does not mean to study only self selected subjects. Unawareness - I agree with that point, but I am against selective study. 

Kshitij: Why to waste time in studying things that you don't care for? For an instance, how will history studied in class VIII help you in medicine? I hope I am clear. The system in other countries is completely different. The student can select the courses he/she wants to opt for.

Supriya: See, class 8th history is just a basic course even if it is not going to help me in medicine. Being an Indian citizen, I should have slight idea about the consequences too. The selection range should be made wide.

Kshitij: You can have it without learning it in your syllabi. Can't you?

Supriya: It should not remain restricted to medical, non med, commerce and arts. No one learns such things without the syllabi.

Punit: Well I agree with Supriya in learning the basics of all subjects (you never know when you'll be asked a question on KBC!). But going with Kshitij, the options should be made available after some level, say 10th.

Supriya: exactly Punit.

Kshitij: That is what I am saying. Well you can learn the same without learning it as a subject in school, can’t you? What if you started studying medicine 5 years ago?

Supriya: I can't imagine myself planting a hope to become a doctor in 7th grade. You don't even have ideas about body cells by then! 10th level is fine but 5 years before 12th is too much.

Kshitij: You can’t imagine so because it is not a routine here in India. In India, course structure is decided by varsity, whereas in other countries, student is supposed to select the courses.

Punit: So, course it is. And shall I consider that the system is flawed?

Kshitij: Not exactly, but it needs a change. It needs to be more relevant.

Supriya: New professional courses also need to be introduced so that we can have better officials, other and engineers and doctors only.

Kshitij: And if not the system, then what can be the other reason which impedes the Indians from filing patents? I am saying that one should select the subjects which one wants to learn starting from the secondary class even though it may be literature or as in my case engineering + economics.

Supriya: But, in a population of billions!

Kshitij: it is possible in other countries. Now being an engineer, I need to earn an MBA to learn economics.

Supriya: This can't be entirely applicable too because they have such a big number of students.

Punit: Hmmm...Shall we agree upon the statement that promotes area-specific research and growth depending on the interest and not on commercial values like engineering in addition to laying strong foundation in all the subjects for which Indians are known for?

Supriya: I agree Punit

Kshitij: Yes sure.

Punit: Well then, thanks a ton Supriya and Kshitij


Happy Independence Day folks. जय हिन्द। जय भारत।  J